Home » » Chicken & Apple Breakfast Sausage Patties

Chicken & Apple Breakfast Sausage Patties


In my mind, there are 2 kinds of sausages - those that are either more sweet or savory in flavor. Since I already had a pork sausage that was definitely more savory with a little kick of spice, I wanted to add a sausage that had more of a sweet flavor. One sweet sausage combination I'm fond of is chicken and apple.

In my previous homemade sausage making class we prepared a chicken and apple sausage, using a recipe calling for dried apple. This time around, I wanted to use fresh apples and came across this recipe from Emeril Lagasse. I didn't make the recipe as written but rather, used some of Emeril's measurements for the spices.

Oh, and another thing to note, ground chicken was fairly pricey when I went to the grocery store however bone in chicken thighs were on sale. Instead of splurging and purchasing the prepared ground chicken, I opted for the chicken thighs. The chicken thighs have a great amount of flavor being dark meat but you could even make this with boneless skinless chicken breasts or bone in chicken breast (with or without skin). I would suggest using some skin to add fat and flavor to the sausage. The addition of fat also prevents you from adding additional oil or cooking spray when you're ready to cook these patties.

When I got home, I deboned the chicken thighs, cut the meat into bite sized pieces and placed in a freezer bag with some of the skins included. The chopped chicken was kept in the freezer for about 30 minutes to get cold and almost frozen. After 30 minutes, I removed the chicken from the freezer and placed it in my food processor and pulsed to a coarse grind consistency for the following recipe. If you process the chicken without freezing, you run the risk of having the chicken get too mushy. Semi-frozen chicken is best if you're processing it in your food processor. And don't forget to package up those bones from the chicken thighs! Whenever I purchase debone chicken, I save the bones and freeze them for later so I can make a homemade chicken stock.


Chicken & Apple Breakfast Sausage Patties
recipe inspired by Emeril Lagasse

2 lbs ground chicken
1 small granny smith apple, finely minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper


In a large bowl combine all the above ingredients. Form the mixture into small patties, about 2 inches in diameter each. Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Cook a few patties at a time in the pan until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and serve hot.

Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger