Home » , , , , , , , » On Autism and Vaccines I Have Changed My Mind

On Autism and Vaccines I Have Changed My Mind


Undecided

I have changed my mind about autism and vaccines. That fact alone probably puts me in a very small group amongst the many people who have discussed, debated and fought over the question of whether vaccines cause autism.

For many years I accepted without serious question the assertions of various health authorities that there is no vaccine-autism connection and that the possibility of such a connection had been disproved by epidemiological studies. Events over the past couple of years have caused me to reconsider my thinking about a possible vaccine-autism connection. I have not reached the point where I think it is proved that vaccines cause or contribute to autism but I have reached the point, once unthinkable for me, that I believe that such a connection is possible. If CNN's John King was doing one of his Magic Wall commentaries he would move me from the "vaccines do not cause autism" camp to the "undecided" camp.

Most of the events that have moved me to question the official position on vaccines and autism are well known:

1. The Poling case

2. The reaction to the Poling case by Dr. Julie Gerberding and other officials and the dubious attempt to distinguish between "autism" and "autism like symptoms".

3. Dr. Bernadine Healy's comments concerning the limitations on the epidemiological studies, the need to conduct lab and clinical studies, the fact that mercury/thimersoal is still contained in some vaccines, including some given to pregnant women.

4. The fact that there are still "trace" amounts of thimerosal in most vaccines and more than trace amounts in others (see the FDA web site) including those given to pregnant women. (What studies actually prove that "trace" or "small" amounts of a mercury based substance injected directly into a child can not cause neurological damage?).

5. The fact, and it is a fact, that public health authorities discouraged clinical /biological research into possible vaccine autism connections as they expressly did at page 152 of the 2004 IOM Report on vaccine safety.

6. The demonization by health authorities and professionals, Dr. Offit for example, of parents, and professionals, who assert a vaccine-autism connection.

These are the facts that have led me to move away from my acceptance of official proclamations that a vaccine autism connection has been disproved. I have not accepted yet that vaccines or thimerosal cause or trigger autism. But I do have an open mind on the subject and I do believe that more research, beyond epidemiological studies must be done, on vaccine, thimerosal and other possible environmental causes and triggers of autism.

It is foolhardy to pretend that we know all there is to know on the complex questions surrounding the causes of autism disorders. Unless we do the research we will never know and will never find possible preventative measures and cures for autism disorders.




Bookmark and Share
Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger