Home » » Southwest Egg Scramble

Southwest Egg Scramble

Breakfast seems to be a meal that I haven't had a chance to really enjoy to the fullest. The ideal breakfast for me is one that I can take my time preparing on a slow and lazy weekend. Sadly, I don't have enough of those weekends in my life lol. But the last time I did, it was while visiting friends out in Denver, Colorado during Labor Day holiday. I loved visiting them because they gave me free reign of their kitchen. Since I enjoyed preparing a special dinner for them, why not make breakfast for everyone the morning after?! With all their favorite breakfast meats in mind, I made this Southwest Egg Scramble that brings together bell peppers, onions, garlic, scallions, and cheddar cheese with rich, creamy eggs that are finished off with some fresh pico de gallo...


I was happy that this particular breakfast was a hit. We all needed a good and hearty breakfast for our busy day of hiking up in the mountains near Denver. The guys were split between bacon and sausage lovers, so I prepared both. I also made some skillet hashbrowns because The Baron needs his daily dose of potatoes. And thanks to my friend, Lindsay of Peace, Love and French Fries who we met up for brunch during our visit, she recommended trying some local Rocky Ford melons while we were in town. For our breakfast I picked up a golden watermelon, a Rocky Ford cantaloupe and plump strawberries to offer something fresh and sweet. Just looking at the picture above makes  me long for another lazy weekend so I can prepare a full breakfast once again... but if you have the time, I definitely recommend this scramble. You don't even have to wait for breakfast since it's equally good any time of day!

Southwest Egg Scramble
recipe adapted from Whole Living

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 diced red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed
  • 1-2 thinly sliced scallions + more for garnish
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Coarse salt
  • Ground pepper
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar (1 ounce)
  • 1/4 cup fresh prepared salsa or pico de gallo

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and bell pepper; cook until softened. Add scallion and cumin and cook until scallion has wilted. Transfer vegetable mixture to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Wipe skillet with a paper towel and return to stovetop over medium high heat.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs,whites, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and heavy cream until well combined. 

Heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium hight heat. Add egg mixture and cook until bottom is set, 30 seconds. Gently stir with a spatula to bring cooked curds up from the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. Stir in cheese and reserved vegetables. 

Transfer eggs to serving platter and top with salsa. Garnish with more sliced green onions if desired.
Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger