Home » » Homemade [GF] Flour Tortillas

Homemade [GF] Flour Tortillas

I have a confession to make. I've been slipping off the gluten free wagon for awhile and I need to get back on it. Perhaps it was finding a gluten free supplement that did me in. I slowly became dependent on it and then I guess my tolerance built up... or so I thought. Lately I'm noticing more and more how symptoms are creeping back and I need to be more mindful. Gah... But the good thing is, I have much more confidence now in working with gluten free recipes than I ever did before. One of my favorites which beats any store bought version are these Homemade [GF] Flour Tortillas. You're only 5 basic pantry staples away from having flour tortillas better than any purchased version...

A few years ago, 2009 to be exact, I made these homemade whole wheat tortillas. I was thrilled because that was when I was trying to incorporate more whole grain and whole wheat flour into my diet. Fast forward two years, I had to learn how to adapt to a gluten free diet when I realized I had an intolerance to gluten. I was doing really well with my gluten free diet for over a year or so. I lost weight, felt great and looked great. Then I found a gluten free supplement. I placed a false safety net around the supplement just so I could justify eating all those gluten laden foods again - sometimes not in moderation. Needless to say, I need to take a step back from the supplement and get back on track. I'm going to make a better effort in keeping my gluten free diet and staying away from the supplements. Phew. It feels good to type this out lol.

So anyway, back to this recipe... over the weekend I hosted and taught a 'On the Border Fiesta Brunch' and one of the things on our menu were homemade tortillas. The recipe is ridiculously easy and I realized making my own gluten free tortillas was much more easy and more cost effective. The recipe is something anyone can make - even your kids! - and you can make the tortillas then freeze them if you'd like. Once you make tortillas from scratch (especially knowing how easy and economical they are), you may never buy them again since they taste so much better!

Homemade [GF] Flour Tortillas
recipe adapted from AllRecipes

4 cups flour [all purpose or gluten free flour blend*]
1 teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
1 ½ cups water 


Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the shortening with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
   
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cookedtortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.


*Gluten free flour blend: This is the best combination for my personal uses and has never failed me. I purchased a majority of the ingredients at an Asian market (at less than $.99/lb) and the other ingredients marked were Bob Red Mill brand. Cornstarch was Argo brand. 

300 grams superfine brown rice flour (Bob's Red Mill) 
250 grams sweet rice flour (Asian market) 
150 grams tapioca flour (Asian market) 
100 grams sorghum flour (Bob's Red Mill) 
100 grams potato starch (Asian market) 
100 grams cornstarch (Argo brand) 

Whisk together the above flours and store in an air tight container. To use, measure out 140 grams for every cup called for in your favorite baking recipe (NOT yeast bread recipes.) Add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum for every cup used in the recipe as well to help with texture and binding. Voila! You can bake gluten free with confidence! 
Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger