Home » , » Knife Skills: Cuttin It Up!

Knife Skills: Cuttin It Up!

Are you as impressed as I am with folks who have exceptional knife skills? I've always wanted to chop and cut effortlessly just as many seasoned chefs do. But as they say, practice makes perfect... and practice is what I did.

Today I hosted a knife skills event where friends came over to take time to learn about their knives, everyday techniques and to prep common ingredients. It allowed us to really concentrate on how to go about cutting, chopping, slicing and paring. A great resource for knife skills is found here.
To join in the fun, my fellow bloggers have submitted pictures of their tools of the trade and offered some tips using their knives. As I do with each blogging event I host, a lucky blogger receives a giveaway related to the food theme. This event's winner is Kayla of Central Cooking! Kayla will be receiving a flexible cutting board (compliments of Magic Slice), a color coated paring knife and a bar board/knife set (compliments of Pampered Chef). Congratulations Kayla and thanks to all that participated in the blogging event! Read on to check out the pictures/ knive tips submitted by my fellow bloggers and pictures of my knife skills class...

Kayla of Central Cooking
from Illinois
favorite knife: Santoku
"We use this for everything it is the perfect weight, not too heavy or too light. We use it to chop veggies and meats, it can seriously do practically everything. "

Carrie of Carrie in the Kitchen
knife set: Henkel knives
"They've been great. But - it's time to upgrade!"

Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater
from Boston, MA
Steph says, "I don't even like to look at them and I hate using them."
Find out why by checking out her blog!

Karen of Loves To Eat Weblog
from Tampa, FL
Knife Tip: "I have found to keep the knives sharp…
sharpen before each use, keep very clean, and never put in the dishwasher!"

For my knife skills class, we went over the anatomy of a knife, what to look for when purchasing a knife and how to use knives effectively. It was an great learning event where the students got a chance to work on their knife handling skills and comfort level with using knifes more effectively.

I chose to have the class make a traditional mirepoix, a finely diced mixture of onions, celery and carrots. This is a great way to focus on dicing and getting consistent sized cuts. We also worked on potatoes, mangoes, radishes, tomatoes, and sectioning oranges.

Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger