Home » , , , , , » CHOCOLATE POTATO BROWNIES

CHOCOLATE POTATO BROWNIES

MASHED POTATOES: Mr. Potato Head would be proud of me!

After the last two Potato Bread Challenge recipes, I still had some mashed potatoes leftover. This time, I was going sweet.

Brownies. Son #2 has been asking for brownies, though I must say that more often than not, I bake them and then end up being forced to eat the entire pan myself as he has decided that either he “isn’t hungry” – and his brother - (for the entire several days that the brownies are on the counter?) or the brownies are “too gooey” or “too chocolate-y” or some such nonsense. Why me?

Well, I opened up my great Brownies cookbook by Linda Burum and sure enough, in the chapter entitled “Healthful Brownies” (Healthful? Brownies? This is surely good to know!), I found a recipe for Potato Brownies. Yay!

After such a rousing success with my Potato Focaccia and the Perfect Potato Buttermilk Dinner Rolls, I didn’t doubt this recipe for one second. As far as I am now concerned, potatoes are the miracle ingredient, turning whatever they touch – or are blended with – into moist, dense yet light and airy, luscious delights. How could I possibly go wrong with Potato Brownies? (Results and verdict after the recipe…)


CHOCOLATE POTATO BROWNIES
From Brownies by Linda Burum, no tweaking necessary

2 oz (60 g) unsweetened chocolate *
2 oz (60 g) semisweet chocolate *
1/3 cup (75 g) unsalted butter
1 Tbs vegetable shortening (I used vegetable oil)
1 cup (150 g) flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups (250 g) sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ - ¾ cup mashed potatoes


* I used Lindt Dessert chocolate : 70% for the semisweet, 85% for the unsweetened.


Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 9-inch metal pan.

If using a glass baking dish, preheat the oven to 340°F (170°C).

In a small, heavy-bottomed pan, in a bain marie or even in the microwave, gently melt the chocolates, butter and solid vegetable shortening (if using) together. If using vegetable oil, stir into the chocolates and butter once melted. Remember to remove the mixture from the heat or microwave while there are still some chunks left, then stir the mixture until completely melted. This keeps the chocolate and butter from burning and it allows the cooling process to start as you stir to continue the melting off the heat.


Let cool slightly.

Combine to blend the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together by hand or with an electric mixer.


Beat in the mashed potatoes and then the chocolate/butter mixture. Add the flour mixture and stir just to blend.


Spread the brownie batter in the prepared pan.


Bake for 22 – 25 minutes or until the center is just barely set and a toothpick inserted 1inch (2 cm) from the edge comes out barely moist. Do not forget that brownies will continue cooking for several minutes even once they are removed from the oven, so better to take them out a bit too early than when they are already well set, or you may end up with brownies that are too dry or cakey.


If your brownies are nice and moist, they will sink a bit in the center when cooled.

Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting. Serve with coffee or tea or, preferably, a tall, cold glass of milk!


These brownies are so outrageously good, even I was surprised with the fabulous intense chocolate flavor, rich without being cloyingly sweet. The consistency was perfect as well, dense and moist without turning Simon off by being stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth sticky gooey. These brownies are so good, that I would even go through the extra step of boiling and mashing a potato or two just to follow this recipe and make them again next time.


Simon even ate and enjoyed them, although when I told him what the secret ingredient was, his automatic response was “Oh why did you tell me that?!”. So now I have the rest of the plate to finish…


“You say pot-ay-to and I say pot-ah-to…” but either way “You've just gotta love the spuds!”

Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger