Home » , , , , , , » Chili Verde for the Crockpot

Chili Verde for the Crockpot

It was cold yesterday.  At least by Southwest Florida standards.  I think we reached a high of about 60F for the whole day.  I’m not complaining.  I live for the cooler weather but I knew that I needed something to warm us up for dinner.  Knowing that we would be at The BMX Track after the sun went down was pretty motivating too!

I pulled out my trusty Crockpot and went to work. 

Chili Verde

Chili Verde

6-8 Servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds of pork (this time I used pork steaks and cut them down to bite sized pieces.  Could use Pork Butt or Shoulder Roast)
  • 3 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour (seasoned with a small bit of salt and pepper)
  • 1/2 Cup water
  • 1/2 Cup Tomatillo Salsa
  • 2 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 (7 ounce) can of chopped green chiles, rinsed and drained.
  • 1 small jar of pimientos (or 3/4 cup roasted red pepper strips)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:

  • In a large bowl toss the pork with the seasoned flour until evenly coated.  Stir in the water , salsa, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, onions and 1/2 of the green chiles.  Mix well.
  • Cover and cook on low heat for about 6 hours (or on high for about 3 or 4), or until pork is tender.  Stir twice if possible.
  • Stir in the remaining green chiles, the red pepper strips and the black beans.  Cover again and cook on high 20-30 min. longer until heated through and bubbling again.

Will I make this again?  Definitely.  This will be a go to winter meal for us.  I wanted to try not browning the pork in this recipe and I am really pleased with how it turned out.  Truth be told I ran out of time and needed to get this on.  Worked to my advantage.  The meat was spoon cutting tender.  Everyone in the house loved it. 

signature

Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger