Home » » Creole Corn Fritters

Creole Corn Fritters

Corn is a staple ingredient in my kitchen, whether it's frozen or canned. It makes for a quick side on lazy nights but the other night I figured I'd use corn to make something. To serve with the Chicken & Sausage Gumbo I recently made, these Creole Corn Fritters were the perfect accompaniment. Golden, crispy and studded with corn, onion and red bell pepper, these were like delicious savory doughnuts!...

I'm not one to fry very often but when I do, I'm reminded how crazy good fried foods are. Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to make these fritters because now I know how easy it is to make a base fritter batter and toss in my choice of either sweet or savory ingredients. The basic batter for these corn fritters include flour, baking powder, egg, milk and melted shortening. For sweet fritters, sugar and chopped fruit can be added. And for savory, salt or a spice blend with vegetables and/or cheeses can be added. Either way, it's simple and so good! Since I paired these fritters with gumbo, I went the savory route and to the corn, I included bell peppers, green onion and Creole seasoning.

Creole Corn Fritters
recipe adapted from AllRecipes


3 cups oil for frying
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon shortening, melted
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
2 green onion stalks, thinly sliced (green part only)
Italian parsley, minced for garnish (optional)


Heat oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and Creole seasoning. Beat together egg, milk, and melted shortening; stir into flour mixture. Mix in the corn kernels, bell pepper, and green onion.

Drop fritter batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil, and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to serving platter and garnish with parsley.
Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger