Home » » Pork Barbacoa

Pork Barbacoa

I'm getting reacquainted with my slow cooker/crockpot these days. In fact, you'll probably start seeing more crockpot recipes featured here in the future because I'll be using it to prepare some freezer meals. To get myself into crockpot mode, I prepared this recipe for Pork Barbacoa which I served up at my recent birthday fiesta. Now more than ever, I'm ready to give my crockpot a real good workout for upcoming recipes!...

Pork Barbacoa is a sweet and spicy dish of shredded pork that's commonly eaten with tortillas. What caught my eye about this recipe was how it only required 5 common ingredients and I loved that I could make it in advance without much effort. The recipe involves slow cooking a pork roast with water for 6-8 hours. After that, the juices are drained and to the crockpot, cumin, brown sugar, salsa and a bottle of cola is added. It seems like an odd combination but it definitely does bring out a nice sweet and spicy flavor!

From the original recipe, I did alter the cook time since it took me much less time for my pork roast to cook. Additionally, I added minced garlic and diced onion to the roast as it cooks to provide some depth of flavor... and roasting pork in just plain water seemed a bit bland and boring to me. The end result was a delicious pork filling perfect for tacos. Leftovers (which is likely given the large amount of pork called for) can be used to fill empanadas, burritos, chimichangas, calzones, southwestern sloppy joes, top pizzas, in casseroles or whatever ways you'd like to use it up!

Pork Barbacoa

recipe adapted from Recipezaar

5-6 pound pork roast
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 onion, diced

water to cover half way
1 tablespoon cumin
1 cup dark brown sugar
12 oz bottle La Victoria taco sauce
20 oz Coke


Place pork roast in a crock pot with the garlic and onion. Add water halfway covering roast. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Drain water and add remaining ingredients. Cook 4-6 more hours on low. Shred pork and serve with tortillas, rice or whatever you'd like.
Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger