Autism Speaks Rejects Questions About Views of New Board Member Robison

I have been appreciative of much of the work done by Autism Speaks in raising autism awareness and funding for autism research. I have also found some Autism Speaks decisions questionable. In particular, I disagree with Autism Speaks decision to provide research funding to Dr. Laurent Mottron who is ideologically opposed to curing autism and who works with anti-ABA activist Michelle Dawson. Reacting to criticism that Autism Speaks does not have a person with Autism on its Board Autism Speaks has responded by appointing a very high functioning person with an Aspergers Diagnosis. The appointment of a person with Aspergers to me represents exactly that ... the appointment of a person with Aspergers not Autistic Disorder not severe autism not low functioning autism.

I am concerned that Mr. Robison and Autism Speaks will, contrary to the wishes of many families with children with Autistic Disorder, move its autism research spending in a more anti-autism cure direction. I am concerned that, with its powerful media connections,  Autism Speaks is moving toward adopting the anti-cure positions of some "Autism" self advocates with Aspergers and High Functioning Autism at the expense of persons with low functioning Autistic Disorder. Autism Speaks has already cowered before  those who view autism as a "different way of thinking", those who oppose research aimed at curing  autism by disassociating itself as much as possible from the "I Am Autism" video produced by parents of autistic children.

I posted a comment on the official Autism Speaks blog guest blog from Mr. Robison asking two questions. The comment did not pass moderation and does not appear on the Autism Speaks blog site. This was the comment I posted:

Mr. Robison do you feel that as a very high functioning person with an Asperger's diagnosis you have any particular insight to offer on behalf of very low functioning persons with severe Autistic Disorder or should the persons who actually care for them and have legal guardianship speak on their behalf?


If I may ask a second question, do you support research aimed at finding cures for autism?

I do not object to the right of Autism Speaks to moderate comments on its official blog site. I moderate comments on this site to prevent spam, profanity, abusive, offensive language and off topic comments aimed at disrupting discussion.  I thought my comment questions were fair and reasonable in the context of Mr. Robison's guest comment introducing  himself on the Autism Speaks blog and I do not see anything offensive or disrespectful in my comments.  Apparently Autism Speaks disagreed.

I respect Autism Speaks' right to moderate its blog site and to reject my comment.  I am not going to throw a hissy fit over Autism Speaks decision to reject the questions I posed for Mr. Robison.

I will take it  though as a sign, a bad sign, about Autism Speaks willingness to address openly some of  the issues that concern me as a parent of a  low functioning  son with  Autistic Disorder. 
Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger