Going Green!

"Going green" is a hot slogan these days in an effort to be more environmentally friendly. One way my husband and I have contributed to this effort is by participating in a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). A CSA’s focus is usually on a system of weekly delivery or pick-up of vegetables that support small, independent, labor-intensive, family farms. In doing this, we receive a weekly box of organic and local produce.

My box this week included dandelion greens and beets. I don't usually eat nor cook with these so having this CSA has definitely introduced me to produce I wouldn't have purchased on my own. So can I make with dandelion greens and beets?

Well today I focused only on the dandelion greens and beet leaves. The dandelion greens are on the bitter side with a peppery taste, similar to arugula. I didn't feel like making a salad so... I decided to make a pesto! Because the greens were similar to arugula, I figured it would make for a nice pesto. And because I'm not one to waste anything, I threw the beet leaves in for good measure.

Here's my recipe for dandelion pesto:


1 bunch dandelion greens - leaves only
1 handful of beet leaves
1 cup pine nuts
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1 cup grated fontina cheese

In a blender, add oil and greens a handful at a time.
Process and continue adding greens until all have been processed.
Add pinenuts and process.
Stir in grated cheese and store.

This will last in the fridge for a week or can be frozen in ice cube trays for portioned amounts to use later.
Share this article :

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Labels

أحدث المواضيع

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2013. Entries General - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger